Thursday, July 9, 2015

The TRUTH about public real estate websites; and, what they don't want you to know


"Um, I was wondering if you could check #527345, I saw it on Zillow. Oh, okay...how about 2777 Main Street, in OKC? Hm, alright then...weird, I just saw it on Trulia, an hour ago; how could it have sold so fast?" Sound familiar? Realtor or client, the conversation is always the same.

Why bother be authentic?

As a real estate veteran, I can promise you...I work hard. Long, number crunching, researching, taxi driving, prospect marketing hours. The BMW I drive; that did not come easy. That vacation, I finally took, after 2 years; I invested 70 hour weeks to pay for it. So imagine how it would feel when all the time and energy that you invested in your business, was stolen by someone else. And not only was it kidnapped; but, the numbers were changed, the text was re-written, and the dates were all wrong. Let's add a little more ammo to this feeling of frustration...in order to get your work back; you have to pay the assailant. Your own work being held for ransom. What I just described is happening to me, and Realtors like me everyday by heavy-hitting aggregators (company website programs that collect data and sell it back to the consumer). I'm not naming names; but, they rhyme with Pillow and Sophia. Take your best educated guess.

If I sound angry...you bet I am! As are many, many, many more of my contemporaries. Even those of us who have fallen into the trappings of the smooth talking CS agent who cons us into believing that we will fall desperately behind the tech 8 ball, without their services. I'm not going to lie. I paid. I did (where's the emoji of shame, when you need it). However, I have recently joined the ranks of the real estate sales professionals fighting back. I will not be cyber bullied anymore; and, truth be told...I hold the power. Without me (us, Realtors) these companies would have no business. We are finally beginning to depress the "blocked" key.

Oh sure...I want to waste my time, too

Well, blah, blah, blah...yay for me! What about you? The client. This little rant, and the potential resolution of the matter; could be more significant for you, than it is for me. Do you recall the first paragraph of this post? HOW many times has this happened to you?!!! Inaccurate addresses, wrong prices, availability not updated? Exactly! It is the most exasperating experience in the world (okay, not the world...but, pretty darn close). You want to get real? No one likes to waste time. Period. I don't care if you have the patience of Gandhi...no one likes to expend moments, carelessly. Time is money. Time is experiences. Time is valuable.

That said, this is the very reason that many people search for homes online. They supposedly save time; and in theory that makes sense. Yet, if you are using "Pillow or Sophia" type websites to search, along with various other public real estate search engines; you might as well, just get on the autobahn and toss your Timex out the window. Basically, you are driving on a high speed freeway of intersections and detours, that all reach a dead end.

Pull over...let me off here!

So, what do you do? What do I do? What do we do? We quit. We fire these search engines. I have been telling my clients for over a year now; don't trust the data on these mega home probing generators. I am person that needs more than "because I said so" to stop or start a quest. Therefore, I have some REAL facts, that might help you reach out to a Realtor instead, in your future property explorations.

How these "aggregators" truly work, is by shoplifting listing information from real estate professionals; found on various online publications and throughout the web. They then re-word, add content, use incorrect images and specifics (square footage, age, etc) regarding the properties...and re-post them, as their own. Then the "syndicators" (another word we use for them) turn around and sell the Realtors the rights for specific advertising spots, along side a bevy of homes for sale. I can't speak for you; but, how confusing is that? Now, you are not only hoping you are viewing a home with correct data; but, who in the heck has the listing? Which of those 3 - 5 Realtors that I see, is the one to call? FYI...I am the one writing this...and I'm befuddled!

I bet you didn't know any of this; and if not; then "they" have done their job. Keeping you from precise material, in an effort to make the big moola! Their intent is not to make your life easier...it is designed to make them rich.

Rhymes with SOLUTION

My suggestion...stop. Hit the brakes. Get off at the next exit, and stop the madness. If you want to be "taken for a ride"...then jump in the car with a real estate professional; and quit wasting time. Your local multiple listing service (MLS) has a far more credible search engine; that can be used to locate your new home. All you need to do is Google "Public MLS" for your city. Here's an example of one on my website... http://centraloklahomaproperties.com/CMCCOWN.

We are the real deal...have been, are now, and always will be the true source for skilled house hunting, and accurate stats. Beep Beep!

No comments:

Post a Comment