Tuesday, July 21, 2015

#1 way to WIN a tough negotiation. Guaranteed.


Maybe saying I've read every book under the sun regarding marketing and negotiations, would be a stretch; but, I promise you, not a long one. An arm's distance, might be a better example.

When I first started in the real estate business, circa 1993; I believed my dazzling personality and model good looks, would be enough to get me in the front door. I soon learned, there were billions, maybe even gazillions (okay, insert under the sun stretch, here) of people with the same attributes. "Damn!" Therefore, using all the positive re-enforcement from my childhood, regarding my brilliance (this post is beginning to sound nauseatingly narcissistic; but, I promise, it's not without a point) I dug a little deeper, concerning cultivating a database of people. After assessing my Calvin Klein wardrobe, and my collection of Ray Bans; I polished my 1985 BMW Convertible, popped into my CD player an eclectic selection of music, ranging from Bon Jovi to Boyz II Men. I then ventured out, to find what was the secret formula to being a wildly successful Realtor (other than the fact, I wore Ray Bans and drove a Beemer).

It's not just one thing

I've shared the following little story on many speaking occasions; as it is still etched in my mind, as if it were, just yesterday. Summer 1993, I strolled into my new Broker's office, Day #1, as a licensed Realtor. Coldwell Banker monogrammed briefcase in hand, and clothed with a world conquering attitude. I sat down in his perfectly designed work space, dripping with awards, and point blank asked him..."what do I need to do, to be Rookie of the Year"? He smiled, albeit a bit condescendingly, and, disappeared for a moment under his desk, re-emerging briefly, with the yellow pages (the BIG book). It landed with force on his glass top desk; and, was followed by "make 50 to 100 calls a day, out of this". Without, batting an eye, or asking why; I took the book, and, did just that. I was sworn at, hung up on, reached hundreds of wrong or disconnected numbers; and, every now and then, I got a live person on the other end of the receiver, willing to discuss real estate.

Guess what? I was Rookie of The Year in our office, that year. I think that story strikes a cord for two reasons; one, the pure ridiculousness of it (I don't believe he actually thought, I'd do that and/or that it would work). Second, it was never that easy, again. Shortly, after that year was over, the new "do not call" law was put in place; and, that was the end of cold calling (legally).

Since, I have spent the remainder of my time, within my career testing every kind of marketing idea in order to secure business (that is a completely separate blog; and, I will write it). Once, I built a nice following, mostly, referral based (remember, this was the early 90's; and, we did not have the Internet to market to clients); I realized, there was yet another, crucial aspect to this business; and, it had nothing to do with marketing.

OMG! I hate him

I have literally, cringed at times upon hearing an agent's name. I've considered not showing a home to a client, as I viewed who the sales agent on the MLS printout was; and, I have intentionally "forgotten" the address of the home I thought I might like to show; because, when driving past it, the rider displayed, a particular Realtor's name. Truthfully, this has nothing to do with differing personalities...I get that we have them (thank god). But, more so how you work with another Realtor, within the structure of a deal. Honestly, this career field is full of ego-maniacs, who work for themselves; due to the fact, they are too hard-headed to work for anyone else. I am guilty of the not-being-told-what-to-do temperament, too; but, I learned a very long time ago, to check my self-pride at the door.

Which brings me to how to win a tough negotiation; especially, in this multiple offer market, we are currently in.

As real estate sales professionals we are positioned to guide, teach, and protect our clients. This creates a feeling of importance, for us. However, when we are contacted by potential clients...buyers or sellers, there is no competition involved. We are not in a battle of wits concerning who is more educated, has more awards and been in the business the longest. They don't care. What they care about; is how will we work in their best interest, from beginning to end? As they should.

Therefore, upon entering a purchase offer with another representing agent; shouldn't we be approaching it exactly the same way we are managing our clients? With first-rate respect. Unfortunately, I think too many of us, go into a negotiation, with an attitude of domination. We revert from skilled Realtor, to Super Star Narcissist Agent.

Can you imagine?

Let's take a quick look at the sheer absurdity, of this way of thinking. There are many professions, that command a high level of respect; simply due to academic investment, alone. Doctors, lawyers and engineers, just to name a few. What if, every time they gathered among each other, in say some kind of symposium...they reached out their hand, announcing "I went to Stanford, drive a Mercedes Benz, make $750k a year, and my wife is a Victoria Secret model. Um, wouldn't that be just a little ridiculous?!!! Of course, it would. I made that point, to show that our non-verbal statements, are no different when we are deliberating with our contemporaries. When we approach the bargaining table, with a full armor of conceit, and the intent to prove our superiority; we already lost. This is not about us. We must never forget; we are simply representing our clients, with our experience and hopefully, diplomacy.

When we are able to comprehend, and practice a state of confidence; combined with humility...we will win. Being aware, that the negotiations are to benefit the clients, and, not flex our own property prowess; our clients, are the real victors. If you truly want to be "the" Realtor, in this insanely dry inventory market, to win the bid; then we need to commit to approaching one another, with a team effort. If your client wins, so does their's. A strong offer, with few contingencies, and all the other favorable incidentals; does sweeten the pot, in a multiple offer situation. But, I can promise; your respect, compromise, and a self-admiration exit, will get your client the home, all things being equal.

Check your ego at the door; it's not about you.

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself; it's thinking of yourself less." - C.S. Lewis


No comments:

Post a Comment